Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The SAW legacy (2004-2010)


I'm sure we can all agree that atleast a few of the sequels were bad and I, personally, thought everything after Saw 2 was garbage. I mean seriously they continued the series 4 more movies after Jigsaw's death and I think that was just pointless. I could go on and on but the more I thought about it the more I realized that Saw hasn't done anything that our favorite horror movies haven't. Think of Halloween, Friday The 13th, A Nightmare On Elm Street, Re-Animator, Child's Play.

Now think of how many sequels they had that were bad movies. Easily for me it's Halloween 6, A Nightmare On Elm Street part 5: The Dream Child and part 6 Freddy's Dead. As well as Friday the 13th part 5: A New Beginning and Jason X. These are terrible films in my opinion but I forgive them and live with it.

I don't know if it's it's because I grew up with these movies so I'm soft for them or if maybe, somehow, I still find them entertaining in some way. But I don't find myself being as forgiving to the Saw movies, I'd like to but I think they just went on past my point of caring and they went way off track after killing Jigsaw. I still love 1 and 2 and I think part 7 is the only sequel to do the first 2 justice, but it still falls short. I enjoyed The Final Chapter and that put a smile on my face.

Saw, to  me, doesn't compare to my favorite franchises of horror movies but it does stand on it's own and will forever be remembered. It left it's mark no matter what, even if you only wanted to acknowledge the first film you have to see the sequels it's spawned and the mark it left in the horror world. Am I a Saw fan? Yes. Disapointed a bit, but yes I am a fan. Are you?

3 comments:

  1. I am a huge Saw fan I thought the sequels except 2 and VI were good. Theyvl still kept you guessing and Hoffman was a good solid character.

    Halloween 6 if it was the producer's cut would have been wayyyyyyyy better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoffman was a solid character, that's true.

    And yeah, I also agree, the story in Halloween 6 was rushed and they probably did alot of editing in the editing room. I'd still rather watch it than Rob Zombies Halloween...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I don't like my Michael Myers looking like a hobo and in 6 they had the curse pass on to Pleasance but he died so they had to change it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...