Sunday, June 15, 2014

BLOOD SOAKED (Screener Review)

MILD SPOILERS THROUGHOUT 




RATED- Unrated
RUN TIME- 72 Mins
WRITER(S)- Peter Grendle 
STARRING- Lauren Myers, Kevin Wester, Davin Ruggles
DIRECTOR(S)- Peter Grendle



Synopsis taken from IMDb
A lesbian college couple becomes stranded in the middle of nowhere with a pack of orphaned Nazi zombie breeders hellbent on their demise.




If I said it once, I said it a thousand times. Whenever I dislike a movie, I tend to try and see the positive, and elaborate on what I did like about it. That way my reviews aren't rants. However, every once in a while a movie comes along that I just see nothing in. And unfortunately, Blood Soaked falls into that category.

Hitting DVD and VOD June 17th, Blood Soaked starts off in black and white, and we see young Sadie and Katie holding their dying father and crying. Then it cuts to 10 years later, and the picture gains color. We see a college freshman move into her dorm with help from her complaining mother. Soon after, she meets up with her roommate, and they develop a relationship quickly. While off in the New Mexico desert doing annoying cutesy flirting, the new couple is interrupted by the psychotic sisters we saw ten years ago as children. Now, they're racist Nazi's who have a thing for killing people, and bringing them back from the dead via an injection.


How these two low-grade white trash girls got a hold of something as precious and complicated as a zombie serum, I'll never know. There's a lot about this movie that isn't logical, and will give you a headache thinking too hard on it. It soon becomes a low-budget take on House of a 1000 Corpses, only with out vision or direction. The acting is incredibly weak to top it all of, and all the gore scenes are mostly in black and white, making any bloodshed null and void. The camera angles are wonky, and the steady shots aren't steady at all. It's very shaky, and looks amateur.

It's obvious by watching that it's a low-budget production, but what I'm aggravated by most, is the lack of commitment this feature has. It really doesn't appear to me that anyone on screen was really trying. Their dialogue is terrible, and it's delivered without confidence like it's a school play rehearsal. I'm sorry, but I just can't praise a movie, cast, or crew for making a movie that looks like you just had fun filming the whole time. The music is lackadaisical, and doesn't do anything to help the scenes progress but add a goofy flare. It's just over the top randomness that forgets small details, such as having blood on a knife that was just used to stab someone several times.

After murdering people, the sisters feed them to already existing zombies that they made. Some people they bring back to life, others become food for the undead. It all plays out in a brutal fashion, but it's really hard to buy into considering lack of effects, and the fact that all the good parts are in black and white, saving all the color shots for looking at nothingness in the desert. It just doesn't make sense to me, and the creativity behind Blood Soaked is severely lacking. So you've got a lopsided plot, bad acting, lame dialogue, little-to-no gore in color, and just an overall tiring experience. I won't be watching this again. It tries to end in a twisted Re-Animator-esque way, but it's a little too late. The films lack of inspiration and impact are already cemented by that time.


On the positive side, I hope those involved in this movie who plan on really making a career of acting or filmmaking learn from their mistakes, and try a little harder next time. It be cool to see some of the cast in future projects putting forth a good effort. It's just unlikely, because usually those involved in films like this don't really want to act as their job, they just want to be in a movie. In which case that shows, always.





12 comments:

  1. And it sounded so promising too. But I rarely trust modern horror movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a trashy movie, dude. It isn't like older films where you can enjoy the trashiness of it all. It's just pure crap on a stick, man. Avoid this one unless you're looking to have a few laughs haha.

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean. There is good trashy and BAD trashy for sure.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you keeping your integrity and not doing 'rant' reviews... So many horror review sites and blogs seem to consist of people with little writing skill being extremely aggressive and nasty towards low budget films, with nothing constructive about any of it. I t really bothers me, I mean, they don't even bother giving a synopsis of the films sometimes, instead they just launch into a tirade of abuse. I don't even know why companies give these sites screeners...

    Anyways, keep up the good work dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped reading certain blogs due to that very thing, dude. I swear, you said it best. They have little writing skill, but are creative in using words abusively. It's like they don't even like horror. Why do you review horror movies if you hate every one you watch? There's countless horror trolls out there. It's quite sad.

      Delete
    2. Agreed, I think I'll be stopping supporting those sites myself, it really bugged me lately. Sure, some films might be truly terrible, but your job as a reviewer is to look at them objectively, and give a critique, and not be in a race to the bottom to be as disrespectful as possible. Blogging ain't what it used to be, dude...

      Delete
    3. You ain't lying! More trolls pop up then ever before. Even if a movie is good like say The Conjuring or Sinister, they'll blast it and anyone who supports it. So, it's like unless you don't hate everything without giving it a chance you're prone to internet abuse by these so-called horror fans. If it were me, and I had been on a kick of bad movies, I'd review something I did like, just to mix it up. Posting negative review after negative review is just ridiculous.

      Delete
  3. This is the first bad review of this movie I've read... I bought and totally disagree. So punk rock, in your face fuck you filmmaking. Fast paced, good thrill. You're in the major minority Grimm.

    http://www.abucketofcorn.com/2013/11/blood-soaked-2014.html?m=0

    http://battleroyalewithcheese.com/2014/06/blood-soaked-a-modern-grindhouse/

    http://www.brutalashell.com/2014/06/review-blood-soaked-2013/

    http://zombiesdontrun.net/blood-soaked-2014-dvd-review/

    http://darkofthematineepodcast.blogspot.com/2014/06/review-blood-soaked.html?m=1

    http://www.searchmytrash.com/movies/bloodsoaked%282014%29.shtml

    http://www.thelairoffilth.com/2012/09/filthy-review-blood-soaked.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all due respect Josh, I'll gladly remain in the minority by myself if that's the case. I disagree with all of that. Was there good acting? Was the story decent? Was the gore good? My answer to all of that is hell no. If that puts me in the minority, so be it. But, most people haven't seen this due to the fact that it's primarily unknown to the masses (mostly everyone who's read my review hasn't seen it or even heard of it) and when it does hit, I know I won't be alone. Most people would turn this off ten minutes in. If it wasn't a screener, I probably would have done so myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet you not, this movies great. I've seen nothing like it in a good way. I like it so much I'm trying to defend it to you. And you're just some guy I don't know or care about. I'm just trying to say, I read a lot of horror blogs, enough to be able to link all that above, and you are, indeed, alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great??? Wow. Yeah, great to me means actually having substance, like quality dialogue or acting. But, to each their own. And, I will in fact remain alone...that is until everyone else sees it aside from those given free copies as screeners. There's nothing great about it. It's a 90 minute waste of time.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...