Saturday, October 5, 2013

4 DEAD GIRLS: THE SOUL TAKER (2012)

a.k.a. "The Rental"




RATED- UNRATED
RUN TIME- 95 MINS
WRITER(S)- MIKE CAMPBELL AND TODD JOHNSON
STARRING- KATHERINE BROWNING, MIKE CAMPBELL, AND LEAH VERRILL
DIRECTOR- MIKE CAMPBELL AND TODD JOHNSON



Synopsis taken from IMDb
The Rental is a horror feature film about 4 girls who move into their first off-campus house only to find that the owner is a soul-eater.




"4 Dead Girls" is the latest screener I've viewed. Off the bat, you can instantly see the quality of the film isn't very good. The lighting is off, and makes the whole film have the feel that it was shot with a handheld camera, which it might have been. 

The acting isn't of the highest quality, either. But, one actress, Katherine Browning, stood out and was the most convincing performer of the cast. I understand that the actors are amateurs, and I'm not going to rip this film apart for that, but I have to be honest, and acting can make or break a movie.

I think the soul eater route is a good choice, you don't see too many of them around. I find the story to be too simple and easy. I don't think writing this script or coming up with ideas for it was a very difficult task. It maintains being original but, loses any effect due to lack of complexity. It's too effortless. Part of me isn't sure if budgets are what got the better of this movie, or plain laziness.



I've never heard of a soul eater only grubbing on evil women's souls, so that's new to me. I know that some say soul eaters would eat the souls of men who were cursed by witches but, I never heard of them only feasting on women. I like how this film tries to take the folklore and change it, but it doesn't have the right means to effectively use it.

When the soul eater reveals that he wants the girls to kill each other so he can eat their souls, it becomes a fight to the death amongst four females who were all good friends just a few minutes before. These girls turn on each other fast! No one wants to die, and everyone wants to be the last woman standing. 

The girls all have somewhat conflicting personalities. Two of them are homosexual, one is very loose with men, and the other is a good girl who has morals. Some of the interactions are pretty interesting, and I feel that they touch up on real topics, and confront the harsh truth of reality. I like how you see the argument from all sides.



I try not to bash or harshly criticize motion pictures made on tiny budgets, because I understand resources are slim. But, when you're making a movie that you want taken seriously, you have to deliver and make an impact. Such is not the case with this flick.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...