Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Psycho Cop (1989)




RATED- R
RUN TIME- 87 MINS
WRITTER(S)- WALLACE POTTS
STARRING- ROBERT R. SHAFER, JEFF QUALLE AND PALMER LEE TODD
DIRECTOR- WALLACE POTTS



Synopsis taken from IMDb
Six college students on their weekend vacation are humiliated and killed one by one by a psycho cop.




If you're a follower of this blog, then you know that a few weeks ago I reviewed the "Maniac Cop" trilogy. And the one thing that kept popping up is "Psycho Cop" and "Psycho Cop 2", however, I was in no rush to see them. Reason being that I already saw it as a copycat series, especially since the first film came out only a year after the first "Maniac Cop" film.

Speaking of which, just like "Maniac Cop" this film was harshly criticized by Police Interest Group. I find this funny, because I can see why they'd complain about these movies. On the other hand, I think these films are a wakeup call to a lot of unhonest cops out there who get away with things. No doubt that these films are extreme cases of police brutality, but they're driven by the "what if this really happened?" idea, due to how corrupt cops can be and what they can often slide by with.

Finally curiousity got the best of me, and I caved and watched it. Everybody knows that I'm an 80's horror child, I'm a sucker for it and can never get enough of it. This film being an 80's film, actually didn't do anything for me. I'm not hating it or bashing it, but I just didn't find the appeal in it.


It's a cheap little nasty without much story, it's just a bunch of college kids being killed off one after another, there's really nothing to it. That's a good thing and a bad thing, because looking at it from one perspective it's nothing more than a forgettable movie. One the other hand, it's an easy and fun watch. So rating this one isn't easy.

The deaths aren't anything that I haven't seen before, they're pretty generic and I don't think it's because it's a dated movie. I think that back in 1989 that there were way better effects and deaths in films that came before it, and after it.

Really, the best way to describe this film is to say that it's a sleazy murder movie that doesn't offer anything in the way of story or character developement. You just watch things happen and then the movie's over. I watched the film 2 or 3 days ago, and I can honestly say that I don't remember hardly anything about it! That happens a lot though, but what else can you expect when you redo what's already been done and done better than what you're doing? I feel like this movie was made just to make a horror film, I felt no real need for it at all with how it offered nothing new.

Once watching the film and talking about it amongst friends, I came to find out that a lot of people didn't like this movie. I also discovered that a lot of people love the sequel, so I watched that one, and the review will be coming soon.


Overall, I can't say that there was anything that I hated about this film, it was just kind of there, take it or leave it. I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again, and I wouldn't purchase it unless I got the sequel with it. If you're in the mood for a cheesy 80's flick with bad dialog and acting, than it's an easy watch. Otherwise, it's not worth the time of day.

In what was an attempt to cash in on "Maniac Cop", it fell far too short. Fun movie, but not a good one.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...