Sunday, August 5, 2012

Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer (1986)






RATED- NOT RATED
RUN TIME- 83 MINS
WRITERS- RICHARD FIRE AND JOHN MCNAUGHTON
STARRING- MICHAEL ROOKER, TRACY ARNOLD AND TOM TOWLES
DIRECTOR- JOHN MCNAUGHTON




Synopsis taken from IMDb
Henry likes to kill people, in different ways each time. Henry shares an apartment with Otis. When Otis's sister comes to stay, we see both sides of Henry; the "guy-next-door" and the serial killer. Low budget movie, with some graphic murder scenes.




This film is based on a true story.

I had this little goody on my Netflix Instant queue for a while, it was one I've been meaning to get to. The only problem is that I'm always watching movies so I always have movies I've been "meaning to get to". But the time finally came for this one to be at the top of the list.

I was especially excited to see Michael Rooker in this movie. For those of you who don't know who Michael Rooker is, he's been in Slither, Tremors and The Walking Dead. He has a cult following of fans and I'm one of them. So it was good to see him in a serious role because this guy can be scary when he's in a solemn role.


The movie doesn't take too long to get started and I was immediately taken aback by how brutal and graphic the kills were. It's a shame I'm just seeing it because I think if I were around back when it was released it would have made the ground shake.

I first heard of this movie on Netflix and then when I saw that it was on a "Most Vile" movies list I knew I had to take this film seriously and give it a fair chance and I'm glad I did.

Henry was crazy, he was a cold blooded, stone cold murderer. He would and could randomly snap at any given moment. This movie had a few shocks for me that I didn't see coming and what a superb performance from Michael Rooker.


Henry's friend and roommate, Otis, is just as twisted as Henry. He often touches on and flirts with his very own sister. Eventually having to get Henry to step in and put him in line. But once Henry tells Otis that he's a murderer Otis quickly becomes out of control and enjoying the killings way to much. Henry instantly knows Otis has to knock off his twisted habits.

I liked their on screen aura and the performances they gave. It came off real and gritty and believable. I was just awaiting the conclusion to their building tension.

I also enjoyed seeing Henry play a different person for Otis' sister. I like seeing their relationship.


The ending made my jaw drop. Very powerful and deep stuff. Very wrong and very screwed up. But a very good movie.

The gore was good and the kills felt real supported by good actors and a disturbing story. If you haven't seen it, you definitely should watch it. It's on Netflix Instant so if you're in the mood for a nice twisted gory movie check it out. It's got my approval.



THIS FILM GETS 3 REAPERS OUT OF 4




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...