Wednesday, August 29, 2012

The Cabin in the Woods (2011)







RATED-R
RUN TIME- 95 MINS
WRITERS- JOSS WHEDON AND DREW GODDARD
STARRING- KRISTEN CONNOLLY, CHRIS HEMSWORTH AND ANNA HUTCHINSON
DIRECTOR- DREW GODDARD



Synopsis taken from IMDb
Five teenagers head off for a weekend at a secluded cabin in the woods. They arrive to find they are quite isolated with no means of communicating with the outside world. When the cellar door flings itself open, they of course go down to investigate. They find an odd assortment of relics and curios but when one of the women, Dana, reads from a book she awakens a family of deadly zombie killers. There's far more going on however than meets the eye as the five campers are all under observation.



I didn't follow this movie, so I didn't know anything about it. I tend to do that with horror films to avoid spoilers. All I look for is positive or negative reviews, and even then I don't let that change my mind in either direction. I like to view and experience movies on my own. 

That being said, when I saw this trailer for the first time during a TV commercial I thought 2 things:
1). Holy **** Thor is fighting zobies
2). It's The Evil Dead remake

This movie turned out to be a pleasure to watch and enjoy. It was a fresh film that holds its own. And it's a kick-ass horror film.

The cast in this movie was very well done, it didn't come off as too "poppy" or directed at teenagers like most of today's modern horror films are. Although I'm sure that's why they went with a young cast, they did a good job at making a legit horror film.


The story in this movie is very compelling. When you find out that they're being watched and even directed into the paths they're taking to bring upon chaos, I couldn't help but want to know how the hell this was going to pan out. Luckily it panned out very well and was very original.

The reading of the passages from the found book they read did remind me alot of The Evil Dead, but I saw it as more of a salute than them mocking or attempting to remake what was already done.


The zombies and other creatures we see in this movie were well done. They were done in a 'popcorn flick' way that made them scary but entertaining and fun to watch. I especially liked the scenes with the werewolf. I think that may have been the coolest looking werewolf I've seen, it's a shame they only showed it briefly. Hopefully we'll see similar designs like that in future werewolf films.


The gore and effects were top notch! I was surprised by how gory and brutal this movie could be as well as how pleased it made me that I wasn't wasting my time on another horrible horror film. This film delivers in ever aspect, I'd watch it a couple more times and will probably buy it on Blu-Ray. Shame I got into this movie so late in the game but better late than never, right?


I was satisfied after viewing this movie and am definitely a fan. I loved the ending and thought the way it all came together and ended was brilliant. Great horror flick. We need more like this.


THIS FILM GETS 3 REAPERS OUT OF 4




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...