Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Purge is a popcorn flick, nothing more.




RATED- R
RUN TIME- 85 MINS
WRITER(S)- JAMES DeMONACO
STARRING- ETHAN HAWKE, LENA HEADEY AND MAX BURKHOLDER
DIRECTOR- JAMES DeMONACO



Synopsis taken from IMDb
A family is held hostage for harboring the target of a murderous syndicate during the Purge, a 12-hour period in which any and all crime is legalized. 




I saw the "Evil Dead" remake back when it was released, and that was the first time I saw a trailer for this film. From the go I noticed two things that made me want to see it: Ethan Hawke is the star, I'm a big fan of his acting. And the other thing being that the concept of this film is original and a really cool idea.

Now the film has been out for a good few weeks, and due to being over worked, I just got around to seeing it Sunday night. I was the only one in the theater, so I was kicked back and ready to enjoy myself. Popcorn and soda in hand. I've heard some negative reviews about this film, but I always tend to have my own opinion and not let others think for me. Part of me couldn't understand what could have gone wrong for it to get such bad reviews, because it looked so good!



From the start, the movie had me locked in. I barely took my eyes off of the screen even to eat my popcorn, I was spilling it everywhere. Good thing no one else was around to see what a pig I was being (laugh). But seriously, the movie kept me watching the whole entire film, so I gotta take my hat off to that. I was thoroughly entertained from beginning to end.

After viewing it, my take on it seems to be that of many others. Only not as harsh. I think the acting was very well done. Everyone did a pretty good job performing. Where the film slacked is that it felt rushed, and thus a lot of details are missing. If the film had been an extra half our or even fifteen minutes longer, I think it would have been better. It's a fantastic, original idea, but it suffers from a bit of bad writing. 

Some of the things that happen don't come off as genuine, so that disconnects you from the characters a bit. Some of the choices they make cause the film to fall under cliches, and that's what takes away from it. With this film, they had the chance to do new things and go new places. And instead, they use a great concept and mix it in with things already done before, and even  a bit predictable.

When the murderers come to the Sandin's house and demand their Purge victim back, they're not being malevolent, they're being patient and understanding. Yet it still comes off creepy as hell. I liked that the Purger's weren't totally cold hearted, and that they were logical instead of radical. Rhys Wakefield plays the leader of the group hunting down their victim. He's evil, but awesome. Although he acts cool and collected, you can see the beast awaiting just under the surface. 



As the film progressed, there were some crazy things that happen that I wasn't expecting. I got a few surprises out of it and a jump or two. And I really liked Ethan Hawke's character. For once there isn't someone who's a complete imbecile as the lead. James Sandin, (Hawke) does what he has to to protect his family. He's a family man first and foremost. It was a relief to watch someone on screen taking the proper action, and not just leaving a knife beside the body of someone you "think" is dead. 

"The Purge" isn't a perfect film. And it doesn't quite meet its potential. But it's a very thrilling and entertaining ride. I'd watch it several more times and maybe grow to even like it more. This isn't a movie that sucks so bad that you'll never want to see it again. I think the main reason it's received bad reviews is because people had their hopes high. I'm a fan of this film, but it's not all it could have been. 

And for all of the haters out there, be ready, because due to this films success, a sequel is already in the works.




THIS FILM GETS 3 REAPER SKULLS OUT OF 5


4 comments:

  1. Nice review. Silly premises like this can work wonders, and sometimes they can be obvious and a bit of a chore. This was one of those latter instances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it had a lot of potential. Everyone said that the idea was good. They just didn't deliver what they should have.

      Delete
  2. I think my real problem is just it seems like another film in the long line of "White people are bad" films that have been pouring out in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dud, I didn't even see it like that until now that you said that LOL. That's actually very true.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...