Sunday, June 30, 2013

Truth or Die (2012)




RATED- UNRATED
RUN TIME- 95 MINS
WRITER(S)- MATHEW McGUCHAN
STARRING- TOM KANE, LIAM BOYLE AND JACK GORDON
DIRECTOR- ROBERT HEATH



Synopsis taken from IMDb
Young British boys and girls travel to an isolated cabin after being promised a night of heavy partying. Instead of the fun they hoped for, they meet a killer out to reap vengeance on them for the death of his brother.




While scrolling through the horror films on my Netflix, I decided this one looked to possibly be my best choice. Seeing as I wanted to stay awake and not fall asleep, I wanted to pic a quality movie. I'm glad I picked this one, because I stayed awake for the duration.

Formerly known as "Truth or Dare", this is more of a thriller to me than a horror film. There's nothing scary that happens, no jumps, and nothing that'll cause you to sleep with the lights on. But, it is very thrilling and interesting. The effects are based around torture mostly, or just gun shots. So, there wasn't any reason for this film to really be scary in the first place. It's just a entertaining revenge film.



This movie suffers from a lot of predictability. I saw the protagonist a mile away, but what struck me as weird, was that I kept watching, and wanted to watch. Here we have all the elements of a bad horror film, yet, I was entertained.  

This film didn't have a very large budget, so it's smart that they kept the setting in a cabin and simple. It left room for them to use the budget elsewhere, like the gore. There isn't too much gore, which I liked. They only used it when it was needed. I never do understand movies that have people bleeding out gallons and gallons of blood, it's unrealistic and doesn't do nothing for me. However, of course there are exceptions to what I just said. 

If a movie is meant to be fun, than over-bloodying things up is fine. But in a serious film, realism is everything. I'm pleased with what was done in this film.

There's two twists in this film that I can count. One of which, I did not see coming, but due to the slow and dramatic build up, it started to become obvious. The second twist didn't really do anything for me, it was a bit shocking, but not anything that'll win the movie over.

I think the idea of this movie is good, a little tired, but good. I feel that the scares and jumps and suspense were on vacation while this movie was shot, though. It kept me watching, but I can't really say I enjoyed it all too much. I wouldn't buy it, and will probably never watch it again. But a part of me found it entertaining. I think I just wanted to know who sent Felix the postcard and caused him to kill himself.



The characters seemed genuine, unfortunately, there is hardly any character development. It's just torture and a cat and mouse game. Without solid characters, a movie isn't very successful. I can honestly say that I only liked one character. I felt like this was "I Know What You Did Last Summer", only with more torture and less of everything else. 

The conclusion of the film falls flat, it's not very impacting when you can't really relate to any of the characters. I didn't side with anyone in the film, so the fact that I was so disconnected with the characters killed this movie for me. Otherwise, I'd say it was entertaining enough to watch. Don't watch this one because of me, spare yourselves the trouble.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...