Thursday, July 5, 2012

Final Destination 5 (2011)



RATED-R
RUN TIME-92 MINS
WRITER-ERIC HEISSERER AND JEFFREY REDDICK
STARRING-NICHOLAS D'AGOSTO, EMMA BELL AND ARLEN ESCARPETA
DIRECTOR-STEVEN QUALE

Synopsis taken from IMDb
Survivors of a suspension-bridge collapse learn there's no way you can cheat death.


I was a big fan of the original trilogy of this franchise. I loved all 3 of them. I thought this series was going strong until 2009's atrocity The Final Destination was released. That film shattered my hype for these films and I thought that that was going to be the way all the future ones that come out are going to be like. Luckily I was wrong...

This movie starts off strong with an awesome bridge scene that rivals the traffic scene it Final Destination 2. It hooks you and grips you tight. From the beginning of this film I could tell that the familiar feeling I used to feel when watching these films was back and that they have redeemed this series.


Now if you're watching these films for epic performances and for great reasons you're watching it for the wrong reasons. These movies are awesome but they aren't epic award winners. They're good thrillers and have great suspense and fun kills. They're the ones you wanna bring your girlfriend to the theater for. They're fun entertaining movies.

Now I have a list of favorite deaths from throughout the series but one particular death in this film shot to the top of my list. I usually don't give spoilers away in my reviews because I like letting people discover films on their own. I just like letting people know what they're getting into. So I'm not going to tell you what happens but I will show you...


There's also a scene that happens that involves laser eye surgery. This scene hit home with me because I wear glasses. That's what's so great about these films, they use the most basic of things to scare you. They put you in the worst case scenario and I'm sure everyone who likes these films has a particular death that hits home with them for personal reasons.


I love the suspense in this film as I did the first 3, they're so much fun. I'm glad to be back into the series and to see that they're still going strong.

I thought the acting was good, nothing amazing but nothing unexpected either. The cast was good and the story was good and the ending was even better. The way it all tied in seriously made my jaw drop. Awesome ending.

And yes, Tony Todd is in this one.

Last I heard they were going to be doing a Final Destination 6 and 7! Supposedly shot back-to-back Lord Of The Rings Style. Whether they'll be a 2 part sequel or different films I don't know yet. I can only hope they keep up the pace of this one and the original 3. Part 2 is still my favorite.

3 stars solid for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...