Saturday, July 28, 2012

Silent Night, Deadly Night 3: Better Watch Out! (Video 1989)





RATED- R
RUN TIME- 90 MINS
WRITERS- CARLOS LASZLO, ARTHUR GORSON AND MONTE HELLMAN
STARRING- SAMANTHA SCULLY, BILL MOSELEY AND RICHARD C. ADAMS
DIRECTOR- MONTE HELLMAN



Synopsis taken from IMDb
Ricky Caldwell, the notorious ' Killer Santa Claus', awakens from a six year coma after being kept alive on life-support by a slightly crazed doctor experimenting with ESP and other special abilities. Ricky targets a young, clairvoyant blind woman, named Laura, whom is traveling with her brother Chris, and his girlfriend Jerri to their grandmothers house for Christmas Eve, and Ricky decides to go after her, leaving a trail of dead bodies in his wake.




If you read my review of Silent Night, Deadly Night 2 then you know that I wasn't a big fan at all, and that I thought it didn't do anything to bring the original film justice. I was hoping part 3 would be where they got the ball rolling again and I was wrong...

This movie doesn't even feel like a Silent Night, Deadly Night movie, it's like over the first 2 sequels they seem to have lost or forgotten the spirit of the first film. Slowly but surely this series is just becoming more and more forgettable.

However, the iconic actor and cult horror film star Bill Moseley (The Devil's Rejects 2005) was in it, so that was a plus and I guess atleast numbed some of the pain of this movie.


But this movie just didn't cut it. It was boring, I could barely hold my eyes open, it was not very well written and even worst acted. I don't know too many people who like these sequels, but if you're one of them then more power to ya. I just don't get it. I think back to Pumpkinhead 2: Bloodwings (1994) when I think of really bad and disappointing sequels, and I'd have to say that this sequel is on that level.

This film is pretty much unenjoyable due to how boring and lackluster it is. But I stuck it out 'til the end because I'm a champ like that, and I wanted to prove to myself in hopes that I'd be right, that this film could turn around if I just sit it through.

The acting was bad and very generic, even Mr. Moseley's part, I didn't like what they did with his character. I didn't like the lead character (Laura) and their wasn't any character development either. It was very dry, trying only to get by on it's cheap thrills and scares.


The story was tired and not anything creative, it's simply a straight to video movie and that's usually all I need to say. Except some straight to video horror films are actually really good. It was made for the sole purpose of trying to cash in on a series that should have long since been dead.

The kills are boring and the suspense isn't even present, if it is I sure as hell didn't see it. It just didn't work for me. Even after trying to not uphold it to the original and just judge it on a movie by itself I still couldn't find any redeemable qualities that this film has, and I definitely don't think I'll see fit to ever watch this atrocity again.


Now considering that there is 5 of these sequels and that I'm 3 in, I mine as well finish out the last 2 right? I figured it couldn't hurt more than this one. This was worse that part 2 and I strongly dislike part 2.



THIS FILM GETS 1/2 OF ONE REAPER OUT OF 4



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...