Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Twisted Tales of Madness and Murder (comic book)





"Detective Spurlock is a tormented cop with a heavy cocaine addiction and a penchant for prostitutes. Done something wrong? He is more than willing to look the other way-for a price. Under his rough exterior, Spurlock is a man who is haunted by his own demons. Demons that threaten to take him down and destroy his very existence. As he weaves his way through one horrifying crime scene after another, he leaves his own trail of destruction in his wake creating one twisted experience."


I've been away for a few days because I took a road trip to Ohio for Rock on the Range, the largest rock festival in the nation. Rest assured that I'm back and ready to go.

Today I'd like to turn you all on to a comic book that was presented to me. As you all know, I'm a sucker for comic books and horror. So...when you combine them I'm going to be all over it like flies on crap. When asked to read and review this comic I jumped on it.

The original idea of this series caught my attention, and after reading the first issue it had my full focus. This isn't a comic book for children, it's very mature and adult in it's contents. So don't go trying to get your kids a copy. There's nudity, drug use and foul language used. It's perfect for the adult horror and comic fan!




It was darker and more raw and gritty than I was expecting, which pleasantly surprised me. A lot of horror comics try to dull down the seriousness, but I've always been a sucker for the ones with balls. The ones that aren't afraid to tell a deep, twisted story. This comic delivers on the latter. I've only read the first issue but by the writing I can tell that this is one that is going to have layers and layers of story and character development.

The illustrations were fantastic as well. I like the black and white approach, always have. I feel it works best for serious comics because it gives them the bleak, emotionless feeling they need to sink in the sinister storytelling. Black and white was used for James O'Barr's The Crow, and look how fantastic that turned out. The lines are drawn clearly and you can tell this was a comic made of passion. I sincerely wouldn't be surprised if you see this become a movie over the next couple of years. 

I love the fact that there's so much gore in it as well. Even though it comes off as a detective story, at it's core it's a horror story with gross and grotesque images that'll keep you reading without blinking. I've been asked to read some comics before for people and never felt the need to give them coverage. This one deserves it though, because I truly believe it's something magical and a breath of fresh air from the common type of horror comics you come across now. It has a lot of dark humor in it that you'll find disturbingly funny as well.

If you want to get your hands on this comic because you like good, rich storytelling and you like horror comics, then click any and all of the links below. I don't know how you could regret it.


Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Twisted-Tales-Madness-Murder-ebook/dp/B00CLCJ2LS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367434500&sr=8-1&keywords=twisted+tales+of+madness+and+murder

Nook
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/twisted-tales-of-madness-and-murder-1-tadd-galusha/1115227567?ean=9781106926920

Itunes
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/twisted-tales-madness-murder/id641190580?mt=11

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...